Last evening, Sean Gallagher spoke in the IT Sligo Innovation Centre to a packed room. He had many wise things to say, but the biggest impression was the positivity that exuded from the man, and his belief in the “resilience of the Irish entrepreneurial spirit.” That was infectious. My summarised notes, his quotes:
- Success leaves clues.
- You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with
- You are not your business
- A customer acknowledge is a customer half served. Service is about feeling valued.
- In year one you CAN’T control your revenues, but you CAN control your costs
- Action. You can’t plow a field by turning it in your mind.
- The only thing you have is your effective energy. (Sean only concentrates on five things in relation to his business and ignores all other activity.)
- Be brave if you don’t know know the answer
- I’m not a fan of advertising but I love PR.
One nice aside from the Q&A session was the advice to always say your name and your company when asking a question in an audience. Take advantage of every opportunity.